Group Pilates Mat Classes are designed and taught by our Pilates instructors. Each series of classes is run over a 5-week block, with one class per week. You can choose to sign up for all 5 classes or drop-in to any single classes you choose.
These classes are open to anyone over the age of 18 years who is physically able to participate; you will need to complete our medical screening questionnaire prior to beginning your classes.
To check the currently scheduled classes, check out the “Exercise Pilates” section on our booking site: https://synergyphysio.janeapp.com/#/list
Please note: these classes are not overseen or instructed by a Physiotherapist and therefore cannot be claimed under benefit plans.
Mat Foundations: 5-week Class Descriptions – take them all or drop-in at anytime
- Play & Explore – week 1 – Becoming aware and present in the You cannot move incorrectly. We make choices to complete what we believe to be the task. How many options can you make happen between your brain and your body?
- Classic Pilates Mat – week 2 – There are 34 original mat exercises in Joseph Pilates’ Return To Life Through Contrology series. These are the base of the method and are cleverly designed to bring balance to the body and to the practice in all planes of motion. Like an alphabet, these build and re-arrange to create the repertoire that is the language of all Pilates
- Classic Pilates Mat Expanded – week 3 – A revisiting and completion of the original While an exercise might be difficult in and of itself if it isn’t transferable into skills you use in daily life, why would you practice it? This week we’ll expand on some of the movements to their end expressions and see what we get.
- Mobility & Stability – week 4 – Gain control. Great movement is about 99% set-up. When we master a skill we no longer have to concentrate on it, it becomes innate and frees our focus for other However, we have all attempted to do some task in a less than ideal position or set-up only to feel our body protest. Learn where you stabilize and you’ll free up your mobility. Develop new options for stability and feel your range of motion increase.
- Efficient Flow – week 5 – Putting it all together in an hour of efficient movement happens with ease and for muscles to be strong they need to also be at rest when unnecessary to the task at hand. We’ll be attempting full ranges of movement with the least amount of effort expended. Prepare to sweat.
Every class is 55 minutes of movement and concepts will be introduced experientially. Each class can be taken as a stand-alone. Hands-on guidance can be expected. Questions are encouraged. Come explore!